Almond and Chocolate Sour Cream Loaf Cake
I absolutely love cooking with ground almonds and also making cakes and scones with sour cream as it makes them so moist and gorgeous inside. This one is a hit for both adults and kids, it’s a failsafe recipe that’s super easy to do.
150g sour cream
50g golden caster sugar
45g light brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
110g groundnut oil
75g ground almonds
150 g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
180g milk chocolate chips
150 milk chocolate melted and cooled
100g unsalted butter
150g icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon of almond essence
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line or grease the bottom and the sides of a standard loaf pan with butter
- In a large mixing bowl, pour the sour cream. Add the caster sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and ground nut oil and whisk until combined. (I used an electric stand mix for this)
- In a separate bowl, mix the plain flour, ground almonds, baking powder, and salt.
- Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combines. Then fold in the chocolate chips with a spoon.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared loaf pan and pop in the oven to bake for about 45 mins, make sure if you insert a toothpick or skewer it comes out clean before removing from oven. If it feels like the top is browning too fast cover half way through in foil, I didn’t have to do this but all ovens differ slightly in heat.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 10 mins before removing and cooling completely on a wire rack.
- Whilst its cooling, make the chocolate, almond buttercream. Combine the butter, icing sugar and melted cooled chocolate in a mixing bowl and beat, I use the stand mixer for this, then add the almond essence and beat again. Once the loaf is completely cooled spread or pipe the buttercream on top.
- Store in an airtight container and will keep for around 3 days.
ENJOY! If you opt for Almond and Chocolate Sour Cream Loaf Cake, please do share a picture!