Chocolate layer cake
Back to basics with a delicious chocolate cake, with a slight twist by malting the buttercream icing so it tastes like malteasers!
425g light brown sugar
425g unsalted butter
425g self raising flour
8 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp baking powder
100g milk chocolate & 100g dark chocolate melted
75g malted powder (I use Horlicks)
Malted Chocolate Buttercream
500g unsalted butter
500g icing sugar
200g milk chocolate melted
50g malted powder (I used Horlicks)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (fan) Grease 3 8inch round cake tins, I always like to use spring form.
- Using a stand mixer beat sugar and butter until smooth, add eggs, vanilla essence and melted chocolate and beat again
- Add malted powder, self raising flour and baking powder and beat until thoroughly combined
- Divide the batter equally between the three cake tins and bake in the over for 40 mins or until a skewer comes out clean. Once cooked cool in tin for 10 mins then remove onto a cooling rack and leave until cooled completely.
- Make the butter icing by beating the butter until pale and creamy, add the icing sugar and melted chocolate and beat until all combined
- Add in the malted powder, then thoroughly beat again
- Ice using a palette knife or pipe between each layer of the cake and then finally on top.
ENJOY! If you opt for Chocolate layer cake, please do share a picture!