Chocolate Mousse Cake
Layers of light airy cake sandwiched with a rich chocolate mousse, hooked yet?! What better way to celebrate Wednesday than this special number!
Ingredients – Cake
50g unsalted butter
250g golden caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
50g melted dark chocolate
150g plain flour
100g ground almonds
55g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarb of soda
100ml boiling water
110g sour cream
Ingredients – Mousse
300g dark chocolate, melted
6 large eggs, separated
100g golden caster sugar
200ml double cream, whisked to soft peaks
- Preheat your oven to 160°C fan, grease and line 2 x 20cm round cake tins with baking parchment.
- Whisk the butter and sugar in a bowl for a couple of minutes until pale. Add the vanilla and eggs and whisk again. Then add the melted chocolate and mix.
- Add all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and combine. In a bowl mix the water and sour cream. Add half the dry ingredients to the egg mix, then whisk until combined, followed by half the liquid. Then add the rest of the dry ingredients and then the last of the liquid. Whisk it for a few minutes.
- Divide the mixture between the two cake tins and then bake for 25-30 minutes. Leave the cakes to cool completely in the tins. Remove from the tins.
- Whilst the cakes are cooking create the chocolate mousse. Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until pale and cream like. Fold in the chocolate, then fold in the whipped cream. Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks are formed then combine with cream mix a little, fold in.
- Line a deep 20cm spring form cake tin with greaseproof on the sides and base. When the cakes are cooled, place one of the cakes at the bottom then add the mousse on top, then put the remaining cake on top. Cover the cake tin with cling film and leave it to set in the fridge overnight
- Remove from cake tin before serving.Enjoy!
ENJOY! If you opt for Chocolate Mousse Cake, please do share a picture!