Pistachio, Pomegranate & Nutella layer cake
So, this looks quite complicated, it really isn’t and yet it makes a real statement but most importantly tastes AMAZING! You also don’t have to pipe the icing, that bit is completely optional.
500g unsalted butter
400g golden caster sugar
100g soft light brown sugar
10 large eggs
500g plain flour
1 tsp vanilla Extract
300g melted white chocolate
200g pistachio kernels ground
500g unsalted butter
1kg icing sugar
5 tbsp Nutella
1 tsp Nutella
100g dark chocolate
200ml double cream
- Preheat your oven to 170c Fan and line two 8-inch round cake tins
- In a stand mixer, beat together your unsalted butter and both sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add in all the eggs, plain flour, and vanilla extract and beat again until well combined. Then add melted chocolate and ground pistachios and mix again. Split the mixture between the two tins and bake for around 45-55 minutes (test with a skewer). Remove and leave to cool on wire racks completely. Then slice each cake into two, so you have four layers.
- Beat your unsalted butter to soften it and then add in the icing sugar and beat well until smooth and fluffy add in the Nutella and beat again.
- Using a palette knife spread a thin layer of icing on top of the first cake, then stack the next cake on top, repeat this process until all cake has been used. Spread the remaining icing (except for a small amount if you choose to pipe on top but this is optional) around the sides and smooth off. Then put the cake in the fridge whilst you prepare the ganache.
- Place the dark chocolate and Nutella in a heat proof bowl, heat the cream until simmering in a saucepan and then pour over the chocolate mix. Leave for 30 seconds then beat using a fork.
- Remove the cake from the fridge and drizzle the ganache over the top and let it drip down the edges.
- If you are going to pipe on top of the ganache return to the fridge to set before you do, if not then just sprinkle your pomegranates on the top and it is ready to serve!
ENJOY! If you opt for Pistachio, Pomegranate & Nutella layer cake, please do share a picture!