Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Scones Filled with Chocolate Mousse
I’ve loved my journey of learning to bake, and have been adapting my own recipes for a while now. I’ve been experimenting and playing around with new flavour combinations and ingredients which at first seem a little different or unusual. And I love figuring out new ways to make my food pop!
I thought I’d share this one which is certainly a favourite in the Thomas household. Delicious Chocolate Chip Scones filled with an indulgent Chocolate Mousse. You can imagine how much the boys love getting involved in the measuring and mixing, and of course…licking the bowl!
Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Scones
275g plain flour
50g granulated sugar
1 heaped teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
85g unsalted butter
100g milk chocolate chips
150ml sour cream
1 large egg
1tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp milk
75g milk chocolate
1 tbsp icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oven (fan) to 215 degrees and line a baking tray.
- (I use my Magimix for this next bit, but you can use a large bowl and your fingertips). Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add cubed, cold butter and mix until you have small crumbs. Add the chocolate chips and mix. Make a well in the centre.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, egg and vanilla. Add to the flour mixture, using a fork gently stir, try not to over mix. Bring to a dough ball.
- Flour your work surface and shape into around 1 inch thick, cut into 8 wedges, separate and put them on your baking tray.
- Brush with milk and bake for 10-12 mins until golden brown. Once cooked, cool on a wire rack.
- Whilst cooling, make the chocolate mousse. Melt your chocolate in the microwave slowly, stirring after each 30 second burst. Leave to cool slightly.
- Whisk mascarpone, Philadelphia, icing sugar and vanilla extract together in one bowl. Add the cooled melted chocolate and whisk until fully combined.
- Cut the cooled scones in half and spread a generous layer of mousse, place the scones back together. Dust in icing sugar.
ENJOY! If you opt for Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Scones for your next homemade afternoon tea, please do share a picture!