The Ultimate VEGAN Lemon Cake
• 400g caster sugar
• 350ml soya milk
• 120ml vegetable oil
• 1tsp vanilla extract
• 400g self raising flour
• 1.5 tsp baking powder
• 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 2 lemons, juice and zest
VEGAN BUTTER ICING
• 250g vegan butter block (like stork)
• 500g icing sugar
• 1 lemon, juice and zest
• 2 tsp soya milk
• 100g vegan lemon spread
• 20g Vegan dark chocolate
- Grease and line 2 x 8inch round springform cake tins and preheat the oven to 180 degrees fan.
- Put the flour, sugar and baking powder into a large bowl and mix thoroughly with a spoon.
- Add the soya milk, apple cider vinegar, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, lemon juice and lemon zest
- Whisk (I used an electric hand whisk) very briefly, you don’t want to overmix, it’s just so they are combined and small lumps remaining are fine.
- Divide the mixture between the two lined cake tins
- Bake both cakes on the middle shelf for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, leave in the tin for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream, beat the vegan butter until soft, then add the icing sugar, lemon juice, zest and soya milk and beat again until soft and creamy.
- Pop a layer of your vegan lemon spread on to the top of one of your cakes. Then spread or pipe a generous layer of lemon buttercream on top of this.
- Lay the second cake layer on the top of this and spread or pipe the remaining buttercream on top.
- Grate the vegan dark chocolate over the top and enjoy!
Store in an airtight container.
ENJOY! If you opt for The Ultimate Vegan Lemon Cake, please do share a picture!